25 March 2009

Yesterday . .

I meant to do this last night, but I got sidetracked by the Incoming Passenger Lists on Ancestry. So, pretend you've borrowed HG Wells' Time Machine and you've gone back about twelve hours . . .

Samuel Wright, born today in 1733, was my 4th cousin 7 times removed so he's quite a distant relative! The son of Samuel and Margery (nee Granger), he lived his short life (he died at 11 months) in Stretham.

Slightly closer, in two senses, was Ethel Culpin (1st cousin twice removed) who was born in 1904 to Millice Charles & Emily (nee Armes). The family lived in Swavesey at the time, and I think she married Alex Stephens in the 1920s.

And then there's the marriage of Susanna Fordham and James Mehew (Mayhew/Mahew). She was my great-great-great-great-great-aunt, born in Hemingford Grey and married there in 1799. I haven't found any offspring of this union and she died in 1806. Interestingly her gravestone has the inscription: "In memory of Susan, the wife of James Mahew and daughter of William and Susan Fordham of this parish . . ." Maybe her ma & pa paid for the stone because I've never seen one worded like that before.

Right, time to get back into the Time Machine and zoom forward to Wednesday!

More soon.

No comments: