9 April 2009

Relative accounting

I thought I'd start today with some numbers:- my 2nd cousin 4 times removed would have been married for 160 years today. She and her husband had 10 children, 33 grandchildren and 14 great-grandchildren (that I know of).

France Wolf, for t'is she, married John Watson today in Girton, near Cambridge, in 1849. They stayed in the village for all their married life and Frances died in 1900. Of their ten children, one moved to Cambridge, one to Histon and one to Grantchester (of Rupert Brooke fame). A fair number of the various descendants worked on the land and some worked for Chivers (Jam/Marmalade) in the orchards or factories. As far as I can tell, only one of the men fell during the Great War.

I could be really, really boring and find some more facts and figures about this family . . . but I won't.

I could also add that the only other marriage in the diary today is that of Robert Langford and Jane Hazell, 377 years ago, in Stretham; but I know very little more about them.

I'll try to find something good for tomorrow!

No comments: