5 March 2010

Last night I looked to see who I could ramble about and then got stuck into searching the 1911 census . . . . and forgot to actually ramble.

So, come back with me to yesterday in 1901 - Deacon's Lane in Ely saw the birth of Hannah Culpin, my sixth cousin twice removed. She was the daughter of Hannah (nee Stevens) and . . . . er, someone else. Ordinarily I would have said her father was Henry Culpin but he died in 1895 (twice, according to my database - glad I was able to correct that one!) so a bit of a mystery there. Sadly little Hannah only lived for three weeks and was buried, unbaptised, at the end of March in Ely City cemetery.

This then led me to investigate the whole family, as you do, and I found that the widow Hannah married again in 1911; two possible husbands showed up on FreeBMD but, for some reason, I latched onto the name of George Hobbs. No idea why but it seemed to ring a bell. And, finally, this morning I found out why . . . .

Ernest, son of Hannah and Henry, was born in 1895 in Little Downham and was living with his mother in 1911 in Deacon's Lane, Ely, working as a farm labourer. When the Great War came, Ernest joined the Suffolk regiment and was a Lance Corporal by 1917 when he lost his life on the Somme. The Commonwealth War Graves Commission (http://www.cwgc.org/) entry for him finally told me why I thought his mother married George Hobbs:

"Son of Mrs. Hannah Hobbs, of Third Drove, Little Downham, Ely, Cambs."

You find the clues in the strangest of places!

Another find was the marriage of Ernest to Alice Watson in 1909. Given that his older brother Charles married Susan Watson in 1905, what are the chances that they married sisters?

Anyway, more hunting to do as their sister Ethel is hiding from me . . . .

More soon.

No comments: