24 November 2008

Outlawed from Scotland

If I had a criminal in my immediate family, I'd probably be slightly ashamed; yet when I found another ancestor who came up against the law, I was quite amused . . . . how strange is that!

This chap, my 4x Great uncle, was born in Sundridge in Kent in 1805, married in 1826 and again circa 1839, and then turned up in Edinburgh . . . read on:-

HIGH COURT OF JUSTICIARY. – GAMBLING CASE-
The first conviction in Scotland before a court of justice for keeping a gambling-house took place on Monday week, in the case of Bernard Greenhuff, Charles Staden or Staten, Charles Stockwell and Mornington Parry. Greenhuff pleaded guilty; the others failed to appear.

The sentence against Greenhuff, which the Court considered they had made lenient in respect of certain alleviating circumstances but which they hoped would nevertheless be effectual as a timely check upon the offence, was, that he be imprisoned in Calton Gaol for the term of two months, and on the expiry of that to find caution to the amount of 50l. for his good behaviour for two years; failing which to undergo imprisonment for two months longer.

Outlawry was passed against Charles Staden, or Staten : and in the case of the other two, Stockwell and Parry, at the request of the counsel, Mr. Patrick Robertson, the diet against them was continued till Wednesday.

This comes from The Times of 31st January 1839 and I found it courtesy of their wonderful archives site.

I guess it's safe for me to go to Scotland . . . . .

No comments: