26 May 2009

Keeping it in the Family

One ancient anniversary today, so let's go back to the reign of Charles the Second (or, to put it more in context - just eighteen years after the Great Fire of London).

On 26 May 1684 in St James's Church, Stretham Rebecka Langford, my second cousin nine times removed, married Thomas Wright.  I have very little information about these two, except that Rebecka was christened in 1666 and the pair of them produced twelve children.

I set the computer to work on their "dynasty" and it counted over two hundred descendants - which intrigued me somewhat because I couldn't remember putting that much effort into this branch.  

And then I looked at the report; their granddaughter Rebecca married "back" into the Langfords in 1760 and their great-granddaughter Ann Riddle followed in her footsteps in 1789.  Ann, in fact, married the brother of my great-great-great-grandfather Benjamin.

I was thinking of putting the Langfords up on my website alongside the Freemans and Culpins, but I'm beginning to wonder if the resulting descendant trees will be too confusing to follow.  Gives a whole new meaning to "head count"!

Happy birthday also to Ann.

More soon.

No comments: